Churches in Petralia Soprana & Sottana
Santa Maria di Loreto, Petralia Soprana
Chiesa di Santa Maria di Loreto
Considered the most beautiful church in Petralia Soprana
is the 18th-century Chiesa di Santa Maria di Loreto, at the end of Via
The Church of Santa Maria di Loreto was an old fortress
converted into a church by the Discalced Carmelites
An altarpiece by Gagini and a Madonna by Giacomo Mancini
Saints Cosmo & Damiano
This church was rebuilt in 1750 with a plan of a Greek
cross and facade baroque sculptures by Serpotta.
Located in the Belvedere Quartiere of Petralia Soprana
Chiesa Madre "Madrice" Petralia Sottana
The main church of Petralia Sottana, commonly referred
to as "Madrice", probably existed as early as the ninth century.
Inside there are three naves separated by monolithic
stone columns coming from the Balza San Eleutorio.
There are canvases by Giuseppe Salerno and, in a chapel
to the right of the altar, a moving Nativity scene by Antonello Gagini.
The current structure, with three naves and a basilica,
was built between 1632 and 1790,
together with the adjacent bell tower in white stone with a pointed arch underpass.
The Church hosts works by Zoppo di Gangi and the Gaginis,
as well as a valuable triptych attributed to Gaspare da Pesaro, a pupil of the famous Gentile da Fabriano
In the church is a statue of Saint Calogero, the patron
saint of Petralia Sottana,
the work of Brother Umile da Petralia and numerous statues and paintings of a time span ranging from the seventeenth to the nineteenth century.
The Church retains a remarkable "treasure", including
works of gold and silver Baroque and Neoclassical,
and an interesting and ancient archive, recently reorganized and made available.
Chiesa Madre dei SS. Apostoli Pietro e Paolo, Petralia
A rich architectural heritage is preserved in Petralia
Soprana's SS. Apostles Peter and Paul, in the Piazza del Duomo
The Church was rebuilt and later underwent changes
within and became two aisles;
It also saw other transformations and expansions at the beginning of 1700, when it was embellished with baroque stucco.
At the end of 1700. also was added, the front portal,
the work of Serpotta, and the bell tower in the east.
Inside we can admire the largest organ in the area,
dating back to 1780, and the work of Giacomo Andronicus.
The portal of entry is fifteenth century, while the
interior has a Latin cross plan today and divided into three aisles,
contains the "Madonna of the Audience" by Antonello Gagini, the "Madonna della Catena" by Giorgio from Milan, a Pietà by Giuliano Mancino
There is a wooden tabernacle of Peter Bencivinni and
the first of 33 wooden crucifixes of Frate Umile da Petralia
The Church has works created by Zoppo di Gangi,
Gaspare Bazzano: Our Lady of the Angels with St. Clare, Francis, Anthony
and Peter of Alcantara in 1620.